Contributed by Googin’s Legendary Farm, off of Googin’s Ledge in Casco Bay near Freeport, Maine. Googin's started in the fall of 2019 with the goal of producing nutrient-rich food through sustainable methods that make the planet healthier in the process. Butch and Karinna Dawbin run the farm with the help of their children.
1 pound sausage (we prefer spicy Italian)
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
5 large Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper (optional)
2 to 4 cups kelp (fresh or frozen), chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- Brown sausage in a large pot. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add bacon to pot and cook until crisp.
- Stir in chopped onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth and water to the pot. If desired, add crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add potatoes and return the cooked sausage to the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add kelp and simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in heavy cream and let heat through.
- Remove from heat, ladle soup into bowls and serve with Parmesan cheese.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Get updates on newly added chefs + events
We'll also let you know about next year's festival!