Contributed by Googin’s Legendary Farm, off of Googin’s Ledge in Casco Bay near Freeport, Maine. Googin's started in the fall of 2019 with the goal of producing nutrient-rich food through sustainable methods that make the planet healthier in the process. Butch and Karinna Dawbin run the farm with the help of their children.
1 pound sausage (we prefer spicy Italian)
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
5 large Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper (optional)
2 to 4 cups kelp (fresh or frozen), chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- Brown sausage in a large pot. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add bacon to pot and cook until crisp.
- Stir in chopped onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth and water to the pot. If desired, add crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add potatoes and return the cooked sausage to the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add kelp and simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in heavy cream and let heat through.
- Remove from heat, ladle soup into bowls and serve with Parmesan cheese.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Get event updates
Be the first to hear about our annual dates, participating restaurants and special events. (Frequency: a few emails every kelp-growing season.)